As many UK businesses endeavour to recover from the last few months, we thought it would be helpful to share some advice on workplace coronavirus safety. Here are seven steps to protect yourself, your staff and your customers during coronavirus.
- Complete a COVID-19 risk assessment. Share it with all your staff. If you need help with creating a risk assessment, the HSE website is a great starting point, otherwise the Prosafe Health & Safety Consultants would be happy to help.
- Clean more often. Increase how often you clean surfaces, especially those that are being touched a lot. Ask your staff, visitors or contractors to use hand sanitiser and wash their hands frequently.
- Ask your customers or visitors to wear face coverings where required to do so by law. That is especially important if your customers or visitors are likely to be around people they do not normally meet.
- Make sure everyone is social distancing. Make it easy for everyone to do so by putting up signs or introducing a one-way system that people can follow.
- Increase ventilation by keeping doors and windows open where possible and running ventilation systems at all times.
- Take part in NHS Test and Trace by keeping a record of all staff, contractors and visitors for 21 days. From 18 September, this will be enforced in law. Some exemptions apply. Check ‘Maintaining records of staff, customers and visitors to support NHS Test and Trace’ for details.
- Turn people with coronavirus symptoms away. If a staff member (or someone in their household) or a visitor has a persistent cough, a high temperature or has lost their sense of taste or smell, they should be isolating.